Anyway, I spend a lot of time toiling away at these quotes, writing and rewriting them. It's a deceptively difficult thing to do... You want to simultaneously:
1) Tell people why they should read this specific book instead of doing a million other things
2) Praise the author without going over the top
3) Give the reader some hint about the kind of book it is
4) Share your own experience reading the book
5) Make sure it sounds good (book blurbs being a genre of writing in and of themselves)
As I find the best blurbs tend to be three or four sentences (or fewer), I can't get around to accomplishing all of these goals, but I do try, and I tend to rewrite them a dozen times. But I do find them a fun challenge.