Luca Veste arrived with a splash on the crime scene this year, editing the anthology Off the Record and releasing two short story collection himself. His blog, Guilty Conscience, is a great resource for the crime writing community. Here are his five from the last year...
5. Gun by Ray Banks - My first experience of Banks was reading this novella. It's an almost perfect novella, an excellent story, that wouldn't work at any length. And now I'm hooked on Banks!
4. Forum of Fury by Col Bury(Manchester 6) - An excellent little tale, from a writer that has so much more to say. The growing tension throughout is superbly paid off with the twist at the end.
3. The End Of The Night by EvaDolan - This story will grab you by balls and squeeze until you're blue. And then you'll go back for more. Outstanding short.
2. Broken Play by Matthew C Funk - I'd actually gone for a different story by Matt, and then this one came along as a latecomer and blew me away. The hairs on my arms and neck were on end throughout whilst reading this one. Absolutely incredible story.
1. The Argument Bunny by Ian Ayris(Laughing at the Death Grin) - An incredible short story. Ayris packs so much into such a short amount of space, it was astounding. A story that has stayed with me since reading.