Thursday, August 12, 2010

Go buy Needle's summer issue

So I'm a college student. This means I don't have much money. And I'm not likely to part with the little money I do have.

But the $11 ($7 for the magazine, $4 for shipping) I spent on the spring issue of Needle was one of the better non-alcohol purchases I've made. Kieran Shea opens with his standard, amazing shit in The Shrewd Variant--with one of the best first lines I've seen in a while: "So, you're saying my daughter is a whore." He's followed by a whole bunch of other kick ass authors--Sandra Seamans, Christopher Grant, Paul D. Brazill to name just a few. Front to back it was a rock solid magazine, not a single story I didn't enjoy. This is something I can't say about EQMM and AHMM.

Now the summer issue is out with Sarah Weinman, Ray Banks, David Cranmer, plus a novella from Chris Holm and a whole lot more. If you haven't ordered it yet, you need to get on that.

I really like Needle's model--Steve Weddle describes it as a co-op. They're not out to make money, just to distribute excellent crime fiction. I hope they stick around for a long time.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm pulling for Steve and NEEDLE. This is a first-rate mag that I hope has a long shelf life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a cracker. I'm looking forward to #2.Thanks for the mention, Chris.

    ReplyDelete